SOMME conducts a Research & Development activity focused on:
- Studying the effects of anthropogenic sounds (EMR, maritime traffic, etc.) on marine organisms;
- Development and implementation of passive acoustic observatories to monitor marine ecosystems (polar areas) in real-time;
- The development of new tools to monitor marine organisms (primarily benthic) in their natural environment and to study how they interact with human activities.
R&D activities have allowed us to develop our technical and scientific skills and expertise in relation to impact studies:
- Development of initial acoustic state with empirical modelling of biological and meteorological components;
- Model of sound propagation generated by maritime activities;
- Bibliographic knowledge of sound impacts on marine wildlife.